Image Source: Research gate
Port basic or overview
The Port of Rotterdam is the largest seaport in Europe and the world’s largest seaport outside of East Asia. It is located in and around Rotterdam, in the Dutch province of South Holland.
- Port code: NLRTM ; IATA code
- Port size: The port of Rotterdam is Europe’s largest, with a surface area of over 12,600 hectares.
- Port addresses: 3198 LK Europoort Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Main cargo/vessel type: There are more than 90 terminals, with 35 dedicated to liquid bulk cargo, 15 to dry bulk
- cargo, and 17 to multi-purpose use.
- TEUs: 15,3 million
The Port of Rotterdam was founded in 1283 when a small fishing village was established at the mouth of the Rotte River by reclaiming land. After the construction of a canal to the Schie in 1360, the port became a major seaport.
The Rotterdam effect: the port’s economic significance is twice as great as previously estimated. The Port of Rotterdam accounts for €45.6 billion, or 6.2% of the Netherlands’ added value. There are plans in the future to fully automate the port, including automatic loading cranes. Learn more about this port here!
Ports in Netherlands
If you need to deliver goods to other cities in the Netherlands, you may opt for other strategic ports of Netherlands.
Ship From or to Rotterdam Port
Contacting a freight forwarding firm is the best way to get valuable shipping deals. ZGGShip is a leading China-based freight forwarder that can work with the well-renowned shipping companies in the list above. Find More info about shipping from China to Netherlands here.